Spouse visa

Spouse Visa

A UK Spouse Visa (or Marriage Visa) is a settlement visa qualifying as a UK Partner Visa that allows non-British nationals from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) to join their UK-based partner. This visa is a potential gateway to Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) then British Citizenship.

Get in touch with ASL and one of our expert solicitors will help you with your Spouse Visa application or extension; we will walk you through all the necessary steps. it normally takes between 2 and 12 weeks for a Spouse Visa case process.

A Marriage Visa will allow you to live in the UK for up to 30 months. If you meet eligibility requirements, this may be extended for up to 30 months, taking the total to 5 years. Spouse Visa holders have the same right to work in the UK as British citizens, but they are not eligible for most benefits, tax credits or housing allowance. A British citizen may apply on behalf of their partner. ASL are here to help make your UK Spouse Visa application process as smooth and comfortable as possible.

How will we help you?

Applying for a Marriage Visa is complex without legal help. There are many requirements that may be confusing, especially those related to financial suitability and visa application may become more complicated if there are children involved. ASL are dedicated to helping people achieve their goal of living in the United Kingdom. We will take away the hassle of dealing with complex paperwork and ensure your application journey is as smooth and comfortable as possible. All your documentation will also be checked to ensure they suffice.

Our expert lawyers will closely work with you and guide you through the visa application process to ensure that it is filled out to the highest standard, giving you the best chance of a successful application. ASL will:

  • Assess your eligibility status and documents
  • Help with the completion of any necessary forms
  • Ensure your application is up to the highest standard
  • Liaise with the legal authorities on your behalf
  • Present your case for you to ensure the best chance of success
  • Help you throughout your application

We are looking forward to supporting you or your partner on your journey to the United Kingdom. Contact us on 07872504002 for 24-hour advice.


To successfully apply, you must meet certain eligibility criteria:

  • You must be over 18 and married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen or a partner settled in the UK.
  • Your partner must have proof of adequate accommodation, which should provide enough room for you and any children.
  • You must be financially eligible which means your sponsor must be earning £18,600 before tax if no dependent children and £22,400 before tax with one child, plus £2,400 per subsequent child.

Our expert solicitors can walk you through further options of proving you are financially eligible if the above criteria are not met.

You must be able to demonstrate a suitable level of spoken and written English via the Spouse Visa English Language Test, which once passed, will remain valid for two years. You will not need an English Language test if you are already a national of an English speaking country. The test must be taken through an accredited and approved Secure English Language Testing (SELT) Provider, otherwise, your qualification will not be valid. SELT tests for visa application are currently only available through Trinity College London or IELTS. If your degree or education was taught in English and can be confirmed by UK NARIC, you will not need to take an English language test. You will also not need to take an English language test If you are aged between 18 and 65 or have a diagnosed long term mental or physical condition or disability,

You must get your biometrics taken for your biometric residence permit (BRP). Depending on which country you are resident, you may be required to pass a medical to prove you do not have Tuberculosis (TB).

You must pass a Genuine Relationship Test which means you must be able to provide evidence of your relationship. There are many different types of evidence you can send:

  • Proof of shared bank accounts or savings
  • Joint mortgages or tenancy agreements
  • Birth certificates of your children
  • Photographs together over a period of time showing you are in a relationship
  • Text messages, social media chat logs, emails you have sent between one another
  • Travel documents

If any of the pieces of evidence you send are not English, you must be able to provide a professionally translated copy, which must match the Home Office’s desired format. British citizens may apply on behalf of their eligible partner

There are so many steps that seem complicated and time consuming. To help ensure your application process runs smoothly, please get in touch with ASL and one of our expert solicitors will guide you through the process.

What happens after my application?

After a successful application, you will receive a permit allowing you to enter the UK within a 30-day window, in which you will have a 10-day window to collect a Biometric Residence Permit, which acts as a personal identity card. If you are rejected, ASL can assist you in appealing, as this process is very tricky and time-consuming. You can extend your Marriage Visa for a further 30 months. Once you have lived in the UK for a minimum total of 5 years, you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Get in touch with us for expert advice

Immigration application can be a daunting process and it is recommended to have expert legal advice. Our immigration solicitors will happily consult you. We also have a team of people who speak fluent Urdu and Punjabi to help communicate about our legal services effectively. Call our 24-hour line on 07872504002.