You may become a British citizen either by birth or by applying for Naturalisation. To be eligible to become a British national, you need to prove that you have been in the UK on Indefinite Leave to Remain or EU Settled Status for at least three years and that you have never broken British law. Foreign spouses of British nationals may become British citizens by marriage.
You must submit a form provided to you by UKVI along with supporting documents to the Home Office. You may be outside of the United Kingdom at the time of submission however your biometrics must be collected from UKVAS centres. A form known as Form AN (Application for Naturalisation), requires detailed information of your residence in the UK along with supporting documents and signature of two referees.
If you are applying on the basis of your marriage with a British citizen, you must also provide proof of your relationship. Referees may be of your own choice but should meet certain eligibility criterion:
- Referees should be acquainted with you for at least 3 years
- Referees must not have any criminal convictions in the last 10 years
- One of the two referees should be a person of professional standing and the other one should be at least 25 years old and a British citizen.
- Both referees must not be in any way related to you or each other
The Home office will not start working on your application until you have paid your application fee. The official time span for an application to be assessed is 6 months. It may take less than 6 months for your application to be processed depending on the complexity of your specific case. With the help of legal professionals, this process could be made much easier.
How will we help you?
Applying for British Citizenship is very difficult and time consuming without legal help.
ASL are dedicated to helping people achieve their goal of living in the United Kingdom. We will take away the hassle from you of dealing with complex paperwork and ensure your application journey is as smooth and comfortable as possible. All your documentation will also be checked to ensure they suffice. Our expert lawyers will closely work with you and guide you through the visa application process to ensure that it is filled out to the highest standard, giving you the best chance of a successful application.
- Assess your eligibility status and documents
- Help with the completion of any necessary forms
- Ensure your application is up to the highest standard
- Liaise with the legal authorities on your behalf
- Present your case for you to ensure the best chance of success
- Help you throughout your application
The general eligibility criteria to apply for Naturalisation is as follows:
- You must be over the age of 18 at the time of submission
- You must have spent 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, with a total absence of no longer than 450 days
- You must be in hold of Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK for at least 12 months
- You must B1 CEFR level English language requirements unless exempt
- You must pass the Life in the UK Test
- You must not have been in breach of any UK immigration laws.
- You must also fulfil a good character requirement which includes you not being involved in a breach of any UK law. UKVI will take into account contributions you may have made to society.
- Foreign spouses of British nationals must currently married or in a civil partnership with a British national and have held Indefinite Leave to Remain for at least three years. Just being married to or in a civil partnership with a British national does not guarantee your eligibility for British citizenship. A person holding a Spouse Visa is eligible for citizenship after spending just three years in the UK whereas other naturalization cases require at least 5 years.
Renouncing British Citizenship
If you are applying for citizenship in a country that will not allow dual nationality, it may be possible to renounce your British citizenship. This process starts with a Form RN (Renouncing Nationality) which can be submitted online or by post.
By renouncing your British citizenship you will also have to give up on the British passport and all incentives of being a British citizen. However, this will only affect you. All of your family members holding British citizenship can carry out their life as normal. On giving up British citizenship, you will receive a Declaration of Renunciation which can then be presented to any government as proof of your renunciation.
ASL can help in the renunciation of British citizenship if it becomes a necessity for you. Call our 24-hour line on 07872504002.
Get in touch with us for expert advice
Application for British citizenship can be a daunting process and it is recommended to have expert legal advice. Our immigration solicitors will happily consult you. We also have a team of people who speak fluent Urdu and Punjabi to help communicate about our legal services effectively. Call our 24-hour line on 07872504002.